Everything is blooming most recklessly; if it were voices instead of colors, there would be an unbelievable shrieking into the heart of the night. (Rainer Maria Rilke)

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Chirpy Update


Yup, it's ANOTHER Chirpy post!  But only because he's done something particularly cute.


Chirpy is still coming every morning to the breakfast nook window and chirping for birdseed.


But this week he has started to bring one of the kids along and he lets her do all the talking!  I'm calling her Chirpette because she's dull in color while her brother is getting his adult plumage.  I'm just assuming this, since the females have less color than the males.


This shot shows Chirpette a little better.  She's on the Magnolia looking down at some seed scattered below.


Here's Chirpy and Chirpy, Jr.  Looks like he's going to be a young man soon as he's getting more adult plumage and his beak is starting to turn orange.


And here's Mom!  I don't see her very often, I wonder if she's on another nest.  I'm really not sure what's going on as I keep reading about several different types of behavior.  Maybe it makes a difference being here in FL on how many broods they have a year.  Anyway, I was worried they were becoming dependent upon me for food, but I've since seen Chirpy stalk, corner and eat a dragonfly against the pool cage and all of them are regularly in the Giant White-Bird-of-Paradise eating insects, I feel better that they are all learning to forage for themselves.


Oh, and look who else I saw in the neighborhood!  Mr. Gopher Tortoise!  I guess he wasn't as enchanted with me as I was with him.


See ya, big guy!

No comments: