Everything is blooming most recklessly; if it were voices instead of colors, there would be an unbelievable shrieking into the heart of the night. (Rainer Maria Rilke)

Sunday, September 1, 2013

Tillandsias


Tillandsias are so cool.  They're epiphytes, taking their nutrients from the air and usually living on a host plant.  (But not always - you can look up the definition and variations if you're so inclined.)


This is what she looked like a couple of years ago when I bought her from the vendor at the local Farmers Market.


I also got this one and she blooms as well.  And I can't believe that I don't have a photo of her blooming!  Also, I see I'm referring to these as "she" - I don't know why - I just do....


I love their Medusa-like tendrils sticking out all over the place!  Now, I've gone and stuck them in the baskets of the Vanda orchids so they can hitch a ride during watering.  It might not be a good idea, and I admit I haven't taken the time to research it.  I hope it doesn't affect either plant and so far things look good. I probably could have called this blog the Nonchalant Gardener or maybe even the Lazy Gardener, as I don't always do what I'm suppose to!


Speaking of Orchids, in my previous post I forgot to mention the Cymbidiums that I have indoors.  I love the pretty mess the leaves form sprawling out and making for a huge statement centerpiece.  I put one on the entryway hall table that is smack in the middle of the floor as you walk in the front door.  Can't miss it!  After the flowers have spent, I stick in a couple of very realistic looking fake bloom spikes and the foliage lasts for months - even a year - before it starts to look a little wonky.   I find I can't put the Cymbies outside because it's too hot all year.  They need a bit cooler, but still humid and inside the house, the humidity is very low.  Soooooo, I'm having trouble keeping these flourishing.  I'm going to have to work on that!

  
I ended up just getting a new Cymbidium and this one has pretty pink blooms.


I felt crafty and such the other day and strung these cheap glass beads to make some "jewelry" for the orchid baskets.  The Vandas get the morning sun and I attached this to the basket to catch the sunshine.  I don't usually like shiny objects, but I do like glowing objects and in the sun, especially after the orchids have been watered, this glows quite nicely.


Here's a little closer view.  If you've started to think I'm a bit Bohemian, I'd say that'd be about right!

 
This photo has absolutely nothing to do with this post.  I just wanted to share something bright and colorful and happy.  This is one of the shops in Matlache, an artist community on the way to Pine Island here in SW Florida.  Hope everyone is having a wonderful Labor Day weekend!  Cheers!

No comments: