Everything is blooming most recklessly; if it were voices instead of colors, there would be an unbelievable shrieking into the heart of the night. (Rainer Maria Rilke)

Saturday, November 2, 2013

The Painted Buntings are back!


Wow, what an insanely gorgeous bird!  I'm so happy they like to visit the backyard and I try to get as many photos of them as possible.  They've been here since October and usually stay until spring.  I put out white millet every day and they love the birdbath, so I'd like to think they're happy here.


The purple Bougainvillea is starting to bloom again.  I love it's wild-looking appearance and beautiful flush of color.  I've also discovered it makes a pretty backdrop for bird photos.


I really want a hot pink Bougainvillea like this one our neighbors have!  They've done a great job with the trellis and it makes quite a showpiece.


Here's more pinkness!


I'm always pleased when one of the orchids is blooming!  This is one of the Vandas on the lanai.


Now that it's not as hot out, it's time to add some of the cooler weather plants to the gardens.  I had planted these New Guinea Impatiens last year, but they didn't do very well.  I'm not sure why, because this is not the first time I've failed with this particular plant.


I do much better with the regular Impatiens.  I guess that's not saying much for my skills as a gardener, because these easily thrive almost anywhere in the shade, LOL!


Now that the rainy season is letting up, I think it's time to put out the Hummingbird feeder.  This was my setup last year, but unfortunately I didn't see any Hummingbirds.  This time it's going on the other side of the house near the Firebushes, so hopefully there will be a better chance of a visitation!

 
Here's a guy we get visitations from quite often.  I took this from across the yard, so it's a little far away, but I think the opossum is kind of cute.  I get the feeling most people don't share that thought...


I cropped the photo for a closer look.  I always wonder if there's offspring somewhere nearby - time will tell!

No comments: