Everything is blooming most recklessly; if it were voices instead of colors, there would be an unbelievable shrieking into the heart of the night. (Rainer Maria Rilke)

Saturday, January 4, 2014

Cold, rainy and a bit dreary, I'm afraid...


Wow, I had to unearth some gloves yesterday to walk the dogs - that's pretty darn cold down here in south Florida!  We brought the orchids in to the cabana bath that's off the lanai, just so I could quit worrying about it.  It got down in the 40's last night, so I just felt better they were inside, out of the cold.  Not that the house feels very warm, lol!  I'm wearing a sweatshirt with the hood up while I'm typing this!


Chirpy the Cardinal came to the window this morning (as he does every day) to chirp for seed.  So as I took that out to him, I strolled around the gardens a little to see how things are faring.


I'm happy to see the Plumeria is still blooming.  I wouldn't think it'd like the cold too much.


I did find a few fallen blooms, but that's not unusual.


The Anthurium is looking okay.  I really need to get some fencing around them in this area.  The animals - probably armadillos - are trampling them at night and I'd hate to lose them.  They really brighten up the shady spot between the palms and hedge.


Purdy... :)


No complaints from the Lantana.


The Bougainvillea is in its glory, not too bothered by the cold.


This Milkweed plant that I got from the markdown rack at the garden center is even doing okay with its new buds.  How lovely, that it's going to be yellow.


While I was out there tooling around the yard, this guy looked at me and perhaps seemed to say: "Hey lady, thanks for bringing out extra chow for us on this super cold day!"


Since it's been raining for the last few hours, I've been inside for most of the day.  We're getting ready to enjoy a slightly spicy and smoky Tomato Chipotle soup that's loaded with shredded chicken, black beans, corn and all the fixins'!  I'm sorry to say not one thing from my garden is in this soup, but I'm going to be working on that and give vegetable gardening another try!  I do buy from the local farmers markets and this has turned out pretty darn good, if I say so myself!  LOL!  



No comments: