Everything is blooming most recklessly; if it were voices instead of colors, there would be an unbelievable shrieking into the heart of the night. (Rainer Maria Rilke)

Friday, May 22, 2015

There's Always Something!


Sometimes, as I sit down at the computer, I wonder "what the dickens" am I going to blog about this week.  (If you're a fellow British mystery aficionado, you'll appreciate that Grantchester reference, lol)  

But, there's always something!  Even if it's something across the street like this gorgeous Royal Poinciana tree that is blooming most delightfully.



She really sets herself apart from the crowd!




Anyway, back to the garden...now, I love all of our visitors, even if I don't love everything they do.   For instance, we've recently had armadillos in the yard.



LOTS of armadillos!  Here you can see the four babies together.  



They can cause a lot of damage to the foundations of buildings when they burrow, and they dig up the yard searching for grub.



I see them all over the neighborhood, but usually at night or early in the morning.  We've tried to remove them, but they're always back. It's one of the things that we live with being next to a preserve.

Interesting armadillo fact:  They always give birth to four offspring.  The egg splits into four and they always have the four identical, same sex babies.  



The part of our yard they were digging in is the blue and orange Gator garden (Go Gators!).  I no longer wig out about it, I just try to accept them and get on with the gardening!  :) 



We did however have a very lovely Black Swallowtail butterfly visit the Plumbago.  This is the first one I've seen in the backyard!  I've seen the Giant Yellow Swallowtail, but haven't been able to get a photo of her as she never sits still - ever!  I'll keep trying though.


3 comments:

Susan said...

Hi Lynn, that poinciana is gorgeous and what a beautiful view for you. That's one tree that would not survive maturity here in central Florida. But, armadillos we do have. You're right all you can do is tolerate them and move on. I didn't know that they have 4 identical babies of the same sex. They are cute when they're little. Have a great Memorial weekend.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Haven't seen any of the poinciana trees in bloom yet down here. They are always beautiful to see.

What interesting facts about the armadillos and their offspring. Haven't had any of those in my gardens so far, only raccoons and possums.

Have a nice holiday weekend ~ FlowerLady

Unknown said...

Thanks Susan and Lorraine for your lovely comments! Yes, the armadillo sure are busy this time of the year. I keep finding new areas where they've dug. They are kind of cute and another thing about them is they can jump. Which is a strange sight to see!