Everything is blooming most recklessly; if it were voices instead of colors, there would be an unbelievable shrieking into the heart of the night. (Rainer Maria Rilke)

Tuesday, April 26, 2016

The Night Singer


I had to blow this sunset photo way up so you can see the silhouette of the mockingbird that's sitting on the sign post.  He often sits there and sings.



And what a singer he is!  I haven't been sleeping much this week and I've been lured outside every night around 1:00 am or so to listen to the mockingbirds beautiful song.



At least I think it's beautiful.  I can see why it might be annoying to others as it goes on and on and on - all night long.



Apparently, he's looking for a mate.  Mating season here in Florida is April and May, so that's when you'll most likely hear him night singing.  I hope he'll be successful!



One site posted how the mockingbird likes to sing especially when it's a full moon.  Well, it happened to be a full moon this last week.  And it was gorgeous!



So, if you hear a pretty tweedle, tweedle, tweedle or a thrack, thrack, thrack interrupting your dreams - it's probably Mr. Mockingbird.  



Now, we do have other birds that make noise during the night here in Florida.  I don't have any pics of them, so I'll just put this funky shot up while I list some of those other noisy night birds:  chuck-will's-widow,  black-crowned night heron, yellow-crowned night heron and of course owls make noise.  My favorite noise-making owl down here is the barred owl - they really get hooting back and forth and I can't quit grinning every time I hear them.



Well, this week in the garden, I've got some pretty orchids blooming on the lanai.



I get all excited every time this lime green one blooms!



These are all Phalaenopsis orchids that I got on markdown at the garden center and this is their fourth time blooming since I got them - hurray!  



The Spathiphyllum or Peace Lily is putting up a few blooms lately as well.



I also wanted to mention that I haven't seen the beautiful Indigo or Painted Buntings for the last three days.





I think they've all taken off...but no worries, they'll be back later this fall!  (what a goofball shot, Ha!) 


I also want to thank you all for leaving such kind and caring comments on my posts!  I haven't gotten back to reply, but hope to do better in the future.  Have a lovely week everyone!  


11 comments:

Susan said...

I had no idea that Mockingbirds sing at night. I hear them during the day and love listening to their many different sounds. The only animals I hear around here at night are frogs and owls. Love all your speckled orchids. You can't beat the Phals - consistent blooms that last for months.

Unknown said...

Hi Susan! I didn't realize they sang at night either until I heard one around 10pm one night last year. Then this year one has been singing right outside my balcony for several nights last week. It was so pretty. I have a phone recording I'm trying to figure out how to put on my blog...I'm not a very techie person, lol.

Janice said...


Such beautiful bird and sunset photos! I love to hear the Mockingbirds sing during the day, but if we have any singing at night, the darn frogs would drown them out. I love the lime green one too! _Janice

betty-NZ said...

We have mockingbirds around and I hear them now and then at night. It's so fantastic to hear. I love your photos of the birds and the flowers. Orchids are so exotic!

daisy g said...

That sunset shot is gorgeous! We enjoy the mockingbirds all day long. We recently observed a fledgling being fed by its momma right outside our front window! Fascinating creatures.

Thank you for stopping by to join us on The Maple Hill Hop!
Enjoy the rest of your week.

Unknown said...

Hi Janice! Thanks so much! I bet living by the water you get a lot of frog and toad choruses. I love them too. Hey - maybe the mockingbird is imitating them and just joins right in, lol!

Unknown said...

Hi Betty! It's so nice to meet you! Thanks so much for your nice compliments and comment! I'm coming over to have a look at your blog - I loved visiting NZ. I remember how pristine the water was and how beautiful the scenery! :)

Unknown said...

Hi daisy! Thank you very much! I'm happy you have the opportunity to watch the baby birds and their families. It's always so rewarding and I always learn so much! I enjoy your hop - thanks for hosting it! :)

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Once in awhile I've heard a mockingbird sing at night, I thought he was just confused. :-)

Lovely photos Lynn. Your photography is always amazing.

Hope you will get some better sleep.

Love & hugs ~ FlowerLady

Unknown said...


Lynn your photographs are just stunning! That beautiful sky and the lovely silhouette of the mockingbird...so so beautiful! I love hearing the mockingbirds sing too and I actually don't mind hearing them sing at night as it is so pretty. Hope you are able to get some rest though soon - I know you have been going through a rough spot and really hope you can find some relief to manage those symptoms. Thinking of you..
- Kate xx

Leslie Kimel said...

I just love your photos--I like to look at them over and over again. There is something so magical about them. I think it is so neat the way you capture the secret doings of the birds. You have inspired me to be more observant in my garden.