Everything is blooming most recklessly; if it were voices instead of colors, there would be an unbelievable shrieking into the heart of the night. (Rainer Maria Rilke)

Thursday, June 6, 2013

I've got a thing for trees


My most favorite trees are those that look all jungle-like,  just like they're out of a Tarzan movie.


It doesn't really matter what kind, as long as they're draped in vines.



I also love trees with huge root systems, like Banyan and Ficus.


I'm endlessy fascinated with their intricate patterns.



I've also got a great big Martha boner for live oak trees like these on Shadow Lane in old Ft Myers.  I  make the photos in black & white because I think it adds a bit of Southern Gothic atmosphere.


Oh, I apologize a little for that slightly raunchy joke before.  It was a reference to an old SNL skit about Martha Stewart being REALLY excited over a turkey recipe or something. 

 
Now, across the street, my neighbor has this gorgeous orchid tree that produces these spectacular lavender blooms!



And if I go behind his house and peek around the lake I see this Royal Poinciana tree that is truly outstanding against all the green.



This is a Royal Poinciana from another neighborhood.  Wish we had one in our yard!


What we do have in the yard - or more accurately - in the preserve that backs up to our yard, is slash pines.  Here they have the morning sunrise behind them.  I'm usually not up this early, so it was an occcasion that demanded a photo.  Although, I honestly think that every sunrise is a special occasion!



Along with a few oak and eugenia trees, we mostly have palms in the yard.  I think my favorite is probably the foxtail palm.  We only have one and it's shown here silhouetted against the sunset. 

No comments: