Everything is blooming most recklessly; if it were voices instead of colors, there would be an unbelievable shrieking into the heart of the night. (Rainer Maria Rilke)

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Oh Deer!


The rainy season has started and is in full force.  The backyard is looking lush and everything is growing like crazy!


This small but beautiful buck visited the backyard yesterday morning.  We usually see them late at night or very early, but this guy showed up around 9 AM and ate some sunflower seeds.



Then he had a drink at the birdbath.  I'm sure Mr. Squirrel didn't mind.  Even the racoon comes around sometimes and does a chin-up to get a drink. 



I have a slight suspicion though that the deer are eating the Passion Flower buds. 


Luckily, most of the other flowers have escaped the deers attention, like this yellow Hibiscus.



And the Anthirium.



The Lantana and Geraniums are doing okay.



Something is stressing the Plumbago, I don't think it's the deer, but I'm keeping a look-out to be sure.



Well, I still love to have these beauties visit the yard, and while I don't mind handing out seed and water, I'm happy when they head back into the preserve to eat the plants in there! 

No comments: