Everything is blooming most recklessly; if it were voices instead of colors, there would be an unbelievable shrieking into the heart of the night. (Rainer Maria Rilke)

Friday, March 27, 2015

More Spring Things in the Garden


The Giant White-Bird-of-Paradise never fails to produce these interesting and exotic flowers.


I absolutely adore that shot of bright blue!


The blue Plumbago is starting to gear up for a bush full of beautiful blooms.


I'm very happy that my Dwarf Gardenias are blooming in the front gardens.  


And that I've got a new pink tea rose starting to open.


I'm also excited that the Bleeding Heart Vine that hasn't bloomed for several years has now starting blooming and is forming more buds.  


And I'm super duper excited that my Spathiphyllum or Peace Lily has a bloom!  This plant hasn't bloomed for four years either!  


The Allamandas are starting to be very showy against all that green.


I don't know how long the blue Lobelia will be able to handle the heat.  She's in mostly shade along with the impatiens, but she's starting to show some distress.  Maybe I can try putting her in the cabana bath and see how she does inside a bit. 


Here's my fifth bloom spike on my basket of orchids.  I know they're just common Phals, but I just love it when one of my orchids bloom - let alone, five at once!


The afore mentioned basket of orchids.


Hey - my little chives plant is making a comeback!  I almost threw this guy out and I'm so glad I didn't.  I keep reading that patience is one thing that gardeners must learn - and it's so very true.  


   This little brown anole hangs out in the herb garden.  


The Swallow Tailed Kite has returned to the area.  I just saw the first ones this week.  


The Catbird will be leaving soon.  He'll return again for the winter later in the year.  He really does sound like a cat.  


This is the last photo I took of Chirpy the Cardinal.  Look how plump and cute he is!  I truly am sad that Chirps got ousted from his territory by a new and younger male cardinal.  I can only hope he has found a new area and is alive and well.  My time with Chirpy (two years) was very special - I've never had such interaction with a bird that ate from my hand, brought his kids to the window with him when he chirped for food and was so calm and zen - I'll really miss him.  (I'm still holding out hope he will return after nesting season) 


And this, this is that new young buck of a cardinal that took over Chirpy's territory.  Wow, what a difference in behavior.  He is crazed, constantly flying into all the ground floor windows at his reflection.  A common behavior during nesting season - he thinks he's fighting off another cardinal when he sees his reflection.  It's driving me nuts!  I've seen a female around, I sure hope it isn't Chirpys wife - haha.  So, I hope they nest soon and he can settle down!  

No comments: