Everything is blooming most recklessly; if it were voices instead of colors, there would be an unbelievable shrieking into the heart of the night. (Rainer Maria Rilke)

Friday, January 23, 2015

Orange Blossoms - How Delicious!


It's warm and humid here today and that makes ideal conditions for inhaling the absolutely delicious fragrance of the orange blossoms. I always say it's almost intoxicating - it's so strong and heavy and wonderful!  I literally pull up a chair outside just to sit and experience this delightful smell!  Tomorrow, it may not be as humid so it won't be as intense, so I'm getting my fill of it right now.  


And I am a believer that it is always "right now".  Long before trendy books were written on the subject, I had come across the ancient beliefs that there is no tomorrow, there is no yesterday, because it is always right now.  Well, whether you think in those terms or not, it resonates with me.  Now, how did I go and get started on that subject...  sorry about that.


Our oranges are really, REALLY sour.  I'm not sure what kind of oranges they are as the tree was here when we bought the property.  I have learned a few things about commercial orange trees and know that we haven't done any grafting or anything to enhance our crop - so they're going to be staying super duper sour, I guess.


Out in the preserve behind the house there is a big banana tree that is right next to our fence line.  I see it has flowered and bananas are now forming.


I don't know much about banana growing either, so I'm not sure what is going on with these bananas. And just like with the oranges, I have no idea what kind they are.  They certainly don't look so great.  I don't remember the last bunch looking like this, but then they all disappeared suddenly, so I never got to see how they finally turned out.


Back on the lanai - the red Tillandsias are blooming.  Yay!  I love these pretty and interesting plants.  They add a nice shot of red amongst the green roots of the Vandas.  I had stuck the Tillandsias in the orchid baskets to hitch a ride for watering and being the forgetful and slightly lazy gardener that I am, left them there.  They're now all entangled with the Vanda roots - I don't think I'd recommend it, but everybody seems to be getting along quite happily :)


So, a few weeks ago I noticed I had a bloom spike coming out of one of the Phals in my "basket-'o-orchids".  Now, this is another thing I wouldn't recommend, but I had gotten a bunch of little orchids for a great price and had stuck them in this hanging basket with their roots exposed to wait until I decided which trees were getting which orchids attached to them.  

Well, then, as you might guess, I couldn't decide (I am a typical Libra) and they have been left in the basket.  The roots have grown around the basket wire and it looks like that's where they'll now be staying.  


Yesterday, it started blooming.  AND, I've noticed there are two more bloom stalks growing out of the crazy mess of orchids and that is very exciting!  I don't know what color they will be and that's fun too.  I know, I am not a proper gardener and never will be, and that's okay - as long as my plants are thriving, that's what matters.  


The last time this basket bloomed it was this fantastic lime green orchid and ooooh, I hope that one is coming up again soon!


Lime Green - Yes!!!!


One of the Vandas that had started blooming last November, is still hanging on.  Looks like she is just starting to show a few indications of fading.  She's been a great bloomer and I tell her that every day!  


I picked up a couple of African Violets on the markdown rack last week.  I'm trying to decide if they'll do best outside or inside.  I'm still reading up on them.  My grandmother had almost a dozen of them on her windowsill (facing north) and they bloomed for her like crazy for years.  Wish I would have paid a bit more attention back then.  I'll have to see what they communicate to me...


I'll sign off with this gorgeous blue Lobelia.  I'm so enchanted with that almost electric blue - wow!  I've got it positioned where I can see it while I write in my garden journal.  Inspiring! 


No comments: