Everything is blooming most recklessly; if it were voices instead of colors, there would be an unbelievable shrieking into the heart of the night. (Rainer Maria Rilke)

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Glorious Gardenias


Well, the big Gardenia bush is finally blooming!  Hurray!!!  The fragrance is intoxicating!  And I think I'm probably an addict...


At least it's a good addiction!  (and I know, addiction is nothing to joke about - I have my own much more ominous demons, sugar for one)


The jasmines are all blooming.  This Star jasmine is the one on the trellis out back.


And of course the Sambac Jasmine is in both the front yard and the back.  I didn't realize this is considered an invasive plant in Florida until last year.  It has grown like crazy, but I keep it contained to the garden beds and I have to admit - I really, really like it...I'd hate to have to take it out.


The Plumeria is still blooming and has more buds on other branches that are starting to form.  I'm glad it's finally leafed out, so it doesn't look so goofy and naked.  I tend to notice it's delicate and beautiful fragrance mostly at night.


And Oh, Happy Day - the Magnolia is budding up, getting ready to put on a big, glorious and fragrant show!  Can't wait!


It's the Grandiflora Magnolia and it has big, creamy white blooms like this.


The peach Hibiscus is a regular bloomer in the side yard.  It doesn't have any fragrance, but that's okay - she's a beauty!


This pretty hot pink Calibrachoa brightens up the backyard a bit.

  
The Sapphire Showers Skyflower is such a gorgeous blue!


It's great for attracting butterflies and bees to the garden.


Of course, I don't have a shot of a butterfly on the Skyflower, but I did manage to capture this Monarch on some Shepherds Needles in the preserve behind the house.


Here's another Monarch with the sun shining on the wings, I just thought he was pretty.


And this Zebra Longwing fluttering around the purple Bougainvillea.


I think the colors are so vibrant in this shot, even if the lighting was harsh.  


The lighting is better on this one - I'm just happy to capture these beauties at all.  The Zebras are the most prolific butterflies in my garden.


And of course, I can't help but take photos of the incredibly colorful Painted Bunting!  He let me get close to him for this shot, which is completely amazing as I find them quite skittish and flighty.


I'm just sticking in this shot of my out-of-control Bougainvillea that has the Indigo Bunting sitting so pretty in the middle.  Oh, and can't forget the dove - he is a welcome backyard resident as well, with his beautiful haunting calls.  He's on the left side of the photo.  I happen to love the Boug being all wild and jungle-like.  I'm not sure anyone else would agree, Ha!  

2 comments:

Susan said...

Hi Lynn, I disovered your blog on Eli's (The Solitary Gardener) blog. It's always exciting to find another Florida gardener. I'm located in the central part of the state. I am so envious of the Painted Bunting . . . he's gorgeous! Your gardenias are lovely and I can smell them just looking at them. I have that same hibiscus and just love it. I look forward to more of your posts.

Unknown said...

Hi Susan! I'm so happy you enjoyed my blog! I have been a follower of your blog for a long time - it was the first Florida Gardening blog I found and is an absolute favorite! I haven't reached out to other bloggers because I really don't know what I'm doing in the blog world, haha. Your and Eli's encouragement has helped tremendously! Thank you for your very nice comment!