Everything is blooming most recklessly; if it were voices instead of colors, there would be an unbelievable shrieking into the heart of the night. (Rainer Maria Rilke)

Thursday, November 16, 2017

Autumn is Here


The Catbird is back for the winter.  I love hearing his goofy calls.  He visits the birdbath every day.



The little Blue-Grey Gnatcatcher is so adorable!  He's just a little bitty guy and boy is he busy.  It's a definite challenge for me to capture him on camera.



They make the cutest little cheep-cheep noises too.  



The little downy woodpecker likes to visit around dusk and makes a big rat-a-tat-tat for such a little guy.  He's one of at least three species of woodpecker that we have in the yard.  (Actually, this is a female)


The Gulf Fritillary is the most frequent butterfly visitor to the yard this fall.


I just got my vegetable seeds started on November 1st.  I'm about a month behind, and I'm going to blame that on Hurricane Irma.  I haven't grown veggies since I was a kid in Wisconsin.  In other words, I really don't know what I'm doing.  


This is a week later.  I'm concerned they're getting a bit too spindly.  We'll see.  I'm attempting to grow heirloom tomatoes, cucumbers, bush beans, poblano and banana peppers.  Oh, and carrots.  I haven't sowed the carrots yet, so I'd better do that pretty soon.  Wish me luck! 🌱🍅🌿





4 comments:

daisy g said...

It's actually the perfect time to start those crops, so I'm sure you'll do fine. I'm so glad you are taking up veggie gardening again. The rewards are worth it.

Thank you for the photo of the catbird. We were told that they reside here and have been on the lookout, but needed a good picture to i.d. it.

Enjoy those butterflies for me! So far up here in NC, they are few and far between. Looks like I'll be putting in a lot of butterfly plants in the spring.

So good to see your post. I hope you have a wonderful holiday.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

So good to see a post from you. Love your bird visitors. I'd have to say cassia and zebras are my most frequent butterfly visitors. Although I do see a lot of tiny cassia blues, skippers and have been seeing swallowtails too. I have planted a lot of things to attract the butterflies and it is a joy to see so many visiting my gardens.

Happy Autumn and have a wonderful Thanksgiving ~ FlowerLady

Unknown said...

Hi daisy! Thanks for your words of encouragement - I feel better thinking I'm not so far behind on my vegetable planting :) Very happy to help with the catbird ID. He is one of my favorite returning visitors. I'm sure you'll get lots of butterflies when you plant some of their favorite flowers next year! I just put in a bunch more today. I'd like to get a lemon tree or a lime, so I can attract more of the giant swallowtails! So nice to hear from you! Have a lovely Holiday!

Unknown said...

Hi Rainey!
You have such a wonderful assortment of blooms for the butterflies! I'm working on it. I put in a few more plants today and then will start some seeds this week. I need to get a few host plants too. Hope you have a wonderful Holiday!