Everything is blooming most recklessly; if it were voices instead of colors, there would be an unbelievable shrieking into the heart of the night. (Rainer Maria Rilke)

Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Cottage in the Woods


Well, here at the new place - we've got Jatropha.


Lots of Jatropha!


And that's a good thing.  I didn't have any at the old place, so I'm looking forward to seeing what it attracts.  I've read butterflies, bees and hummingbirds - yippee!  


There are definitely lots of bees hanging around!


Then we've got a patch of purple Mexican Petunias.  Also great for attracting butterflies.  But, that's about it for flowering plants that came with the landscaping.


Not complaining though - it gives me a nice start and leaves things open to decide what to add.


Here she is...the little yellow house in the woods.  It did come with a nice sized Silver Palm tree.  I don't know much about them, so I'm happy to be given a hands-on chance to learn.  


As you can see, we are smackola right in the middle of the woods.  


I usually call it the jungle as there's so many vines growing around and palms, and then the heat and mosquitos.  I can see where it's an acquired taste so to speak, haha.


Green, peaceful, relaxing views from the backyard too.


I'm not sure how I feel about this privacy fencing.  It has its pros and cons.  I'm sure I'm possibly missing cool sightings of animals (bobcats, etc.), but it also helps keep boar and armadillo (unless they tunnel) from entering the yard.  But, since we're renting, I don't have a choice so I'm going to embrace it and it can help anchor some plantings.


One thing I'm very excited about is that I get to have a clothesline!  (hubby can't understand my excitement)  But, having lived in gated communities for so long, and with the MANY rules the Home Owners Associations put out, I haven't had a clothesline since I was a kid.  I do hope the birds don't ruin my fun by "decorating" our clothes!  (These trees don't look that far apart - it's just the angle)


There's a small, covered lanai that's screened in.  I'm very appreciative of the ceiling fan!  Right now, things are crammed in there just to get them unpacked.  But once I get the Moroccan lanterns hanged and get the little fountain set up...it'll start feeling more like the meditative area I'm hoping it will be.


I ended up not bringing many plants with me.  I did take the vandas that were on the lanai and the basket of phalaenopsis.  I've got them hanging in the shade under this tree for now.  


I found one of the birdfeeders.  I put black-oil sunflower seeds in it even though it's a corn or peanut feeder.  Oh, well, it'll do for now.   I've been seeing ma and pa cardinal around, bluejays, doves and woodpeckers.  I just put it up yesterday, so it will probably be several days before anyone finds it.


Now, don't laugh.  This is my improvised birdbath until I find one that I like.  I left my huge, heavy birdbath behind as it was getting to be where I couldn't lift the top off to clean it.  I'll be looking for a lighter weight one this time.  Hopefully, it will be sturdy enough. 


The sky seems so extra majestic out in the country.


We get some pretty color during sunset.  There was pinks before this, but I missed them.  The sky can change in a blink of the eye.  


Since there's no street lights, it so very dark and it makes for great constellation and sky watching events!  I'll be working on my night photos out here.





8 comments:

Susan said...

Hi Lynn, I missed your previous post about moving so I was confused when I saw your new post. Leaving an old garden behind is definitely not easy. It's been two years since I downsized and it's been one of the best decisions I've made in my life. My new garden is small but very manageable. I like your new place and its surrounding woods. You should have a front row seat in which to watch the wildlife. I do hope you'll continue to blog and share pics of the wildlife that surrounds you. Good luck in your new endeavor and I hope it works out well for you.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

So good to see a post of yours Lynn. I like your privacy fencing and your lanai. Jatropha are wonderful butterfly attractors.

Enjoy your rental, turning it into your sweet little home. I look forward to more posts from you about your new gardens and critters.

Love and hugs ~ FlowerLady

Janice said...


Hi Lynn! I'm loving those woods, they're looking so serene. But...oh yeh, anything could walk out of there. I'd love to be backed up to them anyway.
We've talked downsizing for three years. We know we need to do it, but the hubby has an emotional attachment to the place. Oh well, it'll happen in it's own time.
I know you'll soon have all the birds in your area eating at your place-can't wait to see some cool photos of your wildlife. _Janice

Unknown said...

Hi Susan, Lorraine and Janice! Thank you all so much for your very nice comments. And for the encouragement to continue blogging. I'm happy to be getting settled and can't wait until it gets cooler to see if I can get some vegetables going! I'm looking forward to heading over to your blogs to see what's been going on! Stay cool out there! L.

Anonymous said...

YAY - you brought us with you to your new home ~ which, by the way, I think is beautiful . . . especially because it's in the middle of the woods. I can just picture the peace and tranquility. And I bet it's not long before you're posting pictures of birds that I'm extremely jealous of. :-)

So congrats on your new living space . . . and keep the posts coming!

Unknown said...

Hi eli! I'm so happy to hear from you! I want to see your garden too! I had some screech owl calls going on last night, so I can't wait to put up a nesting box. It is definitely different around here than our last place. Quiet, no lights, no traffic noises, etc....so far I'm loving the woods! :)

betty-NZ said...

A new house is always exciting trying to find out what is growing and what you need to do to make it your own. We rent, too, but that doesn't stop me from making the garden big and bright and colorful! As for the privacy fence, there many be reasons that you don't know yet that it's there, so it might be a good thing. I can't wait to see how things shape up in the coming months!

Unknown said...

This is such a cute rental and I love how it backs up to the woods. You will have so many birds in no time...they are all going to be so happy that you moved in! I'm really excited for you about the washing line!! I grew up with a proper washing line....the clothes just smell so good! Hopefully all the new birds won't be perching on it! Lol!