Everything is blooming most recklessly; if it were voices instead of colors, there would be an unbelievable shrieking into the heart of the night. (Rainer Maria Rilke)

Monday, April 8, 2013

Passiflora

One of my favorite blooms in the garden is the Passion Flower vine (Passiflora caerulea).


It lives on the fence along with the purple Bougainvillea.  So far they're getting along just fine.


Whoa - Closeup!  The insidey parts kind of remind me of kiwi fruit. 
 


But really, those three big bulby things are the stigmas, that sit on the ovary, surrounded by the five anthers with all the gorgeous corona filaments spiking out.


The Passion Flower vines are host to three Florida butterflies - the Gulf Fritillary, the Julia and the Zebra Longwing which is shown below enjoying some Lantana.



Here's a funky pencil sketch version I experimented with in the edit program.



But I'm thinking I like the regular version better...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Love this page....
Gail

Unknown said...

Hi Gail! I'm so happy you stopped by and that you like it!

Jill said...

This just gets better and better!
And so educational! Love it!

Unknown said...

Hi Jill! Creative writing was never my strongest subject, so I'm just rambling on with the conversation that goes on in my head, Haha! I'm so happy you've been having a look and are enjoying it! Thanks much!