Everything is blooming most recklessly; if it were voices instead of colors, there would be an unbelievable shrieking into the heart of the night. (Rainer Maria Rilke)

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Back in the Garden


It is my intention to make a blog entry every week, but it looks like time got away from me for a little while.  I will say I did get a lot of gardening done in the jungle that is my backyard since we had a lighter than usual rainfall the last couple of weeks.  Although, the rain is certainly back again with a vengeance this weekend!


There isn't anything new blooming in the yard right now.  The Ixora and Lantana are two of the most reliable bloomers at the moment.  I love the pink and orange together.  Reminds me of Indian Saris.  I took this shot before I got the trimmers out and reduced this area quite a bit.


The Magnolia is still perfuming the entire backyard.  I think the blossoms are beautiful even when they've started to fade.


And the Plumeria is still going strong.  She's been doing great this year.  This is sort of a funky experimental photo - not sure what I was going for, LOL!


Oh, let's see - what else.... Chirpy is following me around the yard when I'm gardening.  His family tags along too.  He is such a funny adorable bird.  I think he's got a bit of a mite problem around his eye, but I'm not sure.  I've been researching and asking other birder friends what they think.  He seems to be okay, so I hope it's nothing too serious.


This noisy bugger has reared a family in the backyard this year as well.  I didn't get pics of the kids and I really wanted to, but just didn't seem to have the camera when they were around.  The Red Bellied Woodpeckers are fun to watch and I love all the chatter they make.


The green anole isn't seen as much any more, but I'm always snapping a shot when I see one.  I love the aqua blue around his eye next to the lime green.  Gorgeous!


Our pretty friend the Red Rat snake comes around a lot too.  I think we see him almost as much as the black racer, of which I haven't got a decent photo of as he certainly races off before I can click away.


Happily, the butterflies are still in abundance and gracing the yard with their beauty.  I'm working on a butterfly watering station - I'll update when I figure out where to put it.  It probably isn't exactly needed during the rainy season...


No comments: