Everything is blooming most recklessly; if it were voices instead of colors, there would be an unbelievable shrieking into the heart of the night. (Rainer Maria Rilke)

Saturday, August 3, 2013

Front Yard Blooms


Last year I planted two dwarf Firebush plants in one of the front flower beds.


They are definitely doing their job by attracting beautiful butterflies.


Now if only the neighbors Hummingbirds would notice them!  I plan to put out my Hummingbird feeders near by when the rainy season has slowed down a bit.  Maybe next month...


This gorgeous yellow with red center Hibiscus tree is next to the Firebush.  It blooms quite often and I have to pick up the spent flowers from the sidewalk several times a week.  But I don't mind - I need the exercise!


Purple Pentas live in the big stone pots on the sidewalk near the front door.  I know they're quite common, but they work well in the Florida heat and put on a bright show.  I'm learning to keep with the tried and true flower selections for summer, as my experiments with other types of blooms have usually withered in the hot temps.


I'm happy with how my two cent Marigolds from Lowe's have flourished.  One even magically showed up in the Penta pot and I've decided to leave it there as it's doing very well.


I have a few super pink Vincas hanging around in the back of the bed.  They're getting quite tall and will have to be replaced soon.  But I'm waiting until the last minute to keep enjoying their cheery color.


I can't take credit for this lush Crown of Thorns that the neighbors have planted on the property line.  It is so pretty I just thought I'd include it.  Next time I'll have to make sure the thorny stems are shown as they are most interesting.


No comments: