Everything is blooming most recklessly; if it were voices instead of colors, there would be an unbelievable shrieking into the heart of the night. (Rainer Maria Rilke)

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Orchids Galore


I think I have an addiction to buying all the markdown orchids at the local Lowe's.


There's a nice lady there that finds a few to markdown for me, if I ask her.  How great is that?!


At 75% off, I'm not too fussy that they're all Phalaenopsis.  I'm new to keeping orchids and I think they're all gorgeous.


My absolute favorite orchids are Vandas like the ones I keep on the lanai.  I love their long root systems and huge blooms.  Now this may seem a little weird, but I name all my orchids, LOL!  The light purple in front is Antigone, the pink and rose one is Allesandra and the dark purple one is Agapantha.  I know, I know, strange, but they are kind of like pets - at least in my mind...


I usually put an entry in my nature log when I get a new Vanda.  I haven't had a new one for awhile.  I get these at the orchid house and naturally, I wait until there's a sale!


Well, this shot is a little fuzzy, but I wanted to show these cute little Phals that I got on markdown - of course!  When they're done blooming, I take them outside as they do better out there and now I'm in the process of finding trees to attach them to.  I've got to find  the right place in the shade, where I can water them easily if needed and we're able to see them from the house.  I'm finding it hard to decide!


No comments: