Everything is blooming most recklessly; if it were voices instead of colors, there would be an unbelievable shrieking into the heart of the night. (Rainer Maria Rilke)

Thursday, December 12, 2013

Colors of the Season


For me, red and green would probably be the main colors of the Holiday season.  Perhaps for others it would be blue or maybe another color.  I always think of glittering, twittering lights during the season too - does glimmer have a color?  I don't know...


I'm trying not to spend a lot of money this year.  I'd gotten these strands of red berries for only $1 each at the craft store after the holidays last season.  So I circled them 'round and tied them with a leather to make a cheapie Christmas wreath!   True, it's a little unruly, but I kind of like the sprawling mess it makes.  Hard to find something that goes with a palm tree doorknocker!  


I'm not doing a lot of decorating either -  because I'll just have to go around and take it all down in a couple of weeks and what fun is that!   However, I do have a couple of ornaments that I like to take out and look at, like this handmade one that my grandma Flossie and I made circa 1960 something.  It's fashioned out of one of those old cloth egg cartons that we cut and glued together, added some beads and then spray painted gold.  A bit baroque looking and I still remember when we made them.  My newest favorite ornament is the Scandinavian longboat in the background.  Because, of course, I am from a mighty Viking heritage!  lol



In the garden, there's a lot of red and green going on.  The Rubber Tree leaf spike is beautiful and shows up so nicely against the leaves.


The Tillandsias are gorgeous in their holiday colors.


There's even a little red tomato to join in the festivities.  (Although, they aren't very sweet)


And when the sun shines through the Queens wings - they glow with an almost red and vibrant intensity.


Of course, I can't forget Chirpy - he's the best red thing in my garden.  He looks so handsome against the green foliage.  He's still coming every day to my window, chirping for seed.  Earlier this week, he sent Mrs. Chirpy to sit at the window, but I don't think she really knew what to do.  She faced outward and only made a few little cheeps.  But I knew what they wanted, so I took out some sunflower seeds and Chirpy came right over and ate out of the scoop.  What a guy!


I don't really have any photos of anything glittering in my garden, but I did take this at the beach the other day.  I'm truly amazed at how each grain of sand looks almost like diamonds in this beautiful shell.  It wasn't very big, and I couldn't see how beautiful the sand was until I enlarged the picture.  So, this is my glimmering glam shot for the Holidays.  Hope you are enjoying yours!

No comments: