Everything is blooming most recklessly; if it were voices instead of colors, there would be an unbelievable shrieking into the heart of the night. (Rainer Maria Rilke)

Thursday, December 5, 2013

Pink and Spicy - a favorite combination!


Earlier this year, I bought this lush and abundant pink carnation at the local garden center.  I couldn't resist it as I ran my hands through the blossoms and all the spicy goodness drifted upwards to my nose.


I've never had a carnation plant before, but I know from purchasing the cut blooms at the store that they last a long time.  So almost every week I bring in a couple of flowers to cheer up the kitchen or anywhere that needs a little more positive energy.


It's been on the lanai for several months now, and it's still blooming strong!


About this time every year, I set a hot pink geranium on the lanai table to soak up the winter sun.


When I was young, my mother and grandmother always had beautifully spicy geraniums.  I haven't been able to find one since!  I started looking in college, gave up when we moved overseas, and started looking again upon our return.  Well, I think they still exist - but I'm having a very hard time locating one!  Sometimes fragrances make such a vivid memory!  Instantly transporting me back to the time I encountered it!


I love being able to see this hot pink color on the table as I look out of the house.  Pink and orange always seem to say "tropics" to me!


Well, this isn't pink - but it's pretty like pink and it is spicy.  This is Agastache and has a wonderful lemony pepper fragrance.  I love it and can't get enough!


And this is a Fuchsia - it's quite obviously pink and purple and I can't detect a fragrance at all.  But I think their attitude is spicy!


Since this post seems to have morphed into "pink plants I keep on the lanai", here is a pretty Mandevilla that has since gone on to the Big Plant Party in the Sky.  That probably makes the monkey happy as I think it was making him a bit nervous...


And now to help you meet your daily cute requirement - here's some puppies that even like pink flowers!  These Tibetan Terriers are from our dog Kohl's second litter.  We kept Flash (he's the little sweetie in the middle with the gold color on his head).

No comments: